Thursday, February 19, 2009

I am not a map

4:55pm
I'm listening to Denver police conduct some kind of undercover bust. I've already moved Copter4. I've asked Doug to track down a photographer to go on the ground. I've told the producers what I'm hearing.

We're on alert for a homicide suspect that has been wanted since Wednesday night when he allegedly forced his girlfriend off the road, walked up to her car, and shot her. I can tell the officer on the scanner is tense as he moves other officers into location to move in on a suspect. Could this be the homicide suspect?

I've got the Denver scanner up as loud as it can go so I can hear it over the other 10 scanners. The phones are ringing. I give up and answer.

Me: CBS4 News this is Misty

Female Caller: Uh, yes, I was just wondering if you know how far it is from Denver to California? Uh, like 1200 miles?

Me in my head: Seriously?? I am not a map!

Me out loud: I honestly don't know.

Caller: Oh. (pause) Really? OK. Thank you.

Me: Bye

This is not the first call of this kind, nor will it be the last. To all hear my plea: I am not a map. I am not a phone book. Buy an Atlas. Call AAA. Call 411. Go to the library. There are lots of resources at the library.

Back to the bust: Copter4 is overhead. Suspect is now in custody. Not the homicide suspect. Looks like a drug bust. Photojournalist Dale arrives on scene and is told by an officer it's a bust over a $20 narcotics deal.

This won't even make air.

On to the next possible breaking news story...

5 comments:

  1. Just to be a help now... It is 1182.72 miles from Denver to Sacramento, California!

    I know... I know... But I couldn't resist...

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thanks. I'll remember this tidbit for the next time I'm asked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have two different ladies that call me everyday twice an evening for the TN, KY and IL state lottery numbers. at this point i would be worried if they didnt call... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was TV critic for the St. Pete Times, I used to get calls all the time (insert old person's voice here) like, "Remember that guy, Schneider, on that show, One Day at a Time ... is he dead?"

    My fave trick was to call up IMDB while they talked, then I'd say, "Oh, you're thinking of Pat Harrington, he's still alive, he'll be 80s this year, but he's continued to work in guest shots as late as 2006 ... say, did you know he has a master's degree in philosophy and he got his start back in 1953 on the Motorola Television Hour?"

    Silence ... uh ... well, thank you young man ...

    Worked every time, the magice of "The Google" .. .:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where have you gone? I miss reading your blog! 1 week is far to long to wait for more posts! :)

    ReplyDelete